Monday, April 27, 2009

Chicken with Mustard'y Mandarin Orange Sauce

Around this time of the year, I look in the refridgerator and say "Man. I have way too many jams, jellies and preserves in this place." Most are left over from The Great Cookie Bake-Off of (insert year here).

I was trying to think of when I actually purchased the peach preserves that were staring back at me. I'm pretty sure I was still with Nathan, which means that the jar and it's contents are at least 9 months old. I examined the insides of the jar, from the outside. No fuzzy stuff. I opened it. No odd smell. I tasted it and it didn't make me gag! We were in the clear!

If you like sauces that contain mustard, you will love this. I used a grain mustard, but honey mustard would be lovely. Dijon would work too. I loved the way the grain mustard made little speckles in the sauce though.

CHICKEN WITH MUSTARD'Y MANDARIN ORANGE SAUCE

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup of either orange marmalade or peach preserves (I hate orange marmalade!)
2 tbsp grain mustard
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 small can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 tsp grated orange peel
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil and butter together until butter is melted and sizzling. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on both sides. Meanwhile, combine OJ, preserves, mustard and thyme in a small bowl. Don't fret if the preserves do not dissolve into the juice...they will when the mixture hits the heat. Lumps are fine! Pour mixture over chicken. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes or until the juices from the chicken run clear and sauce thickens. Gently stir in oranges and orange peel. I plated over steamed white rice cooked in chicken stock for added flavor.

Sweet and sticky. Just like Madonna's last tour. I promise that people - adults and children alike - will be licking their fingers.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

That looks delicious. I love chicken with some sweetness to it.

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I just love the sauce, must be tangy!

Unknown said...

Chicken with orange sauce sounds delicious...i need to check this out this weekend...i'm gonna get the ingredients from www.myethnicworld.com and try it..thanks for sharing.

Kasha said...

Love, love this blog! I love orange chicken. This looks like a sweet change. Thank you so much for letting me gander at your lovely recipes. I will definitely be keeping in touch!
Kasha
http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It looks very goods
I'll definitely to come back to your blog again.
www.ahacook.com

Lorraine said...

This looks so yummy! I would definitely give this recipe a try. The glistening of this sauce is just oh so tempting!!

4110 said...

do you think this sauce would go good over orange chicken ravioli???