Monday, October 23, 2006

The Meatball

On top of old smokey,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.
It rolled off the table,
And onto the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled right out the door.

What's a few hundred meatballs between friends, right?!

It's funny - I like lots of veggies and texture in my meatloaf, but I like my meatballs meaty and pretty plain, so that they don't compete with the sauce or gravy that I may add them too. I also like to make them in great big batches, and freeze them for later applications. My brain is working in overdrive right now, thinking of different meals I can prepare just because I have a bunch of meatballs in the freezer!

KAT'S MEATBALLS -

1 lb package of Ground beef, usually 80/20 or 85/15 - whichever looks better in the case
3/4 cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Onion powder
3 tbsp dried Parsley
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning

Mix all ingredients together with your fingertips until well incorporated. Determine the size of the meatball you would like.

Drop meatballs into boiling water, and cook until they float to the top.

If freezing, let cook completely before packaging.

Very simple. Because I don't add diced onions or garlic, these meatballs are very easy to roll - and keep their uniform shape while cooking. I made two different sizes myself, big ones for the spaghetti dinner, and some smaller ones for a couple of meals that are pinging around inside my head!

No comments: