Thursday, April 07, 2022

Creamy 'Shroom Pasta

Vermouth has become one of my all-time favorite kitchen staples. The funny and ironic part of that statement is that I have never tasted a martini, the number one noted usage of vermouth, or the actual spirit by itself. I should probably do both, you know, for point of reference or something.

I use vermouth in about half of the savory food I make, particularly when recipes call for de-glazing the pan. Vermouth can be used anywhere you'd use white wine in cooking. Generally the flavors are a little stronger than your average cooking wine, so if you're substituting you can use a little less if you're worried about it overpowering the dish. I never have such worries! The other thing to keep in mind if you are a vermouth newbie: dry vermouth adds a herbal flavor, while sweet vermouth adds a little... sweetness. I prefer cooking with extra dry or dry vermouth.

Since I laid that all out there, it should come as no great surprise that one of my "go-to" recipes for when I am cooking for one (me!) includes vermouth. 

Plus, it makes me feel fancy, and we all deserve that from time to time. 

I have certain requirements that need to be met if I am going to cook for myself because lets be honest, I have survived these alone nights perfectly fine with a pop tart and a cheese stick. 

  1.  It has to be quick. 
  2.  The clean-up has to be minimal.
  3.  It must produce leftovers.

This meal, as is, takes 15 minutes to prep and cook, and you will need one pot and one skillet. The size of those vessels is at your mercy (and thus the size of your portioned leftovers). If you add a protein, the cooking time will increase. I'll share some notes below the actual recipe.

 

 Hello, you earthy bowl of comfort.

Creamy 'Shroom Pasta

Note: Keep in mind, this is a recipe that would serve two people (me, and my leftovers), so adjust your measurements accordingly, if you are feeding more folks. 
 
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp dried thyme 
1/4 tsp dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup extra dry vermouth*
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream**
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese
Your choice of pasta
 
I like egg noodles for this, but I had gemelli on hand, and I chose NOT to run to the market.

Bring water to a boil in a stock pot. Cook your favorite pasta, in the quantity that you want, as directed, or as you have been taught. 
 
While the pasta is boiling, melt butter into olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and sauté until translucent. 
 
Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme and chili pepper flakes. Season with salt, and
sauté until mushrooms start to lose some of their water, about 5 minutes.
 
De-glaze skillet with vermouth, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the vermouth reduce, until it looks like there is none left in the skillet. Add the chicken stock and reduce by half. Finish by stirring in heavy cream right before you serve. (Adding it too soon can make your sauce break.) 
 
Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. 
 
 
Dump that pasta into the skillet, or the mushroom sauce into the drained pasta - whatever floats your boat. Stir slightly, being careful not the crush the pasta, to incorporate the sauce, and walk away for 2 minutes so the pasta absorbs some of the sauce.
 
Serve in a pasta bowl with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

 I could literally eat an entire vat of this, even if it isn't my pasta type of choice.

Make it vegetarian: Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.

For the meat-eaters: Add sliced or cubed chicken, beef, pork, or seafood (I've done this recipe with scallops.) Brown your proteins after you saute your vegetables. Remove the browned meat from the skillet, and de-glaze. Add in mushrooms, meat, chicken stock and cover. Adjust your cooking time by about 10-15 minutes to fully cook through your proteins. Finish as above.

Also for meat-eaters: A little crumbled bacon would rock.

As always, if you want more sauce, adjust the liquids. You will be amazed at how much of the sauce is absorbed by the pasta. 

*If cooking with alcohol is not your thing, omit the vermouth and increase the amount of chicken stock you use. You can also de-glaze the pan with water, but that sounds like it would taste terrible.

**If you do not have heavy cream, you can substitute half and half, or sour cream without it affecting the flavor or consistency.

1 comment:

Lanphan Freezedrying said...

Creamy shroom pasta is a delightful and indulgent dish that perfectly combines the richness of a creamy sauce with the earthy flavors of mushrooms. The velvety texture of the sauce complements the al dente pasta, creating a harmonious blend of taste and mouthfeel.