Thursday, April 14, 2022

Easy Not-Too-Hard Boiled Eggs

Having laying hens has taught me many things, but the most prevalent is that eggs add up fast when they're not consumed at the same velocity. 

We've given away dozens and dozens to friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors, and there is usually a stockpile of about 3 dozen on any given day in our egg sorter. Our girls currently give us about 6-8 eggs per day, but in a couple of months when the new chickie babies reach maturity, we may see a full dozen eggs per day. Right now, it seems overwhelming.

Our chicks seem pretty happy. They have a safe cushy house for night, and access to the rest of the barn and an enclosed chicken run during the day. (We did remove them from the compost bin, which they did not like, but we make sure to give them lots of kitchen scraps in their run, which they do like.) The first batch matured faster than we thought, and started laying in February, in the dead of winter - a full month earlier than we expected. 

From chirp, chirp, chirp to peek-a-boo.


Our hens lay blue, green, and pink butt nuggets, which is so pretty on display. Truth be told, only the blue ones peel easily, even not so freshly produced, so that's a bummer for deviled eggs. I've tested out every trick in the book, and if I want to make a hard boiled egg look good, I have to use the blue ones - which one bird in our flock makes (the blondie).

 

The rush was on to find alternative uses and preserving methods for our generous supply of eggs. 

There are a million pickled egg recipes on the interwebs, but I use THIS ONE from Feel Good Foodie, who's blog is insanely beautiful. Seriously. Visit. Bookmark. Try anything on her page...you will not be disappointed.

These eggs are the last of the batch I made a week ago. That color.
 
I have found my method for hard boiling that I would like to share, especially if you plan to make pickled eggs any time soon. Which *at hem* you should, because they are delicious. I used to put eggs in a pot, fill it with water, bring it to a boil, and let it roll for 10 minutes. If you are doing anything that requires adding additional heat to the egg, cooking with this method will make your eggs rubbery and disgusting. If you are making deviled eggs, you can now avoid the green ring of doom! (Seriously, if you are bringing those to a party, and they are green, please start over.)

Here is a fool proof method that will give you the BEST hard boiled eggs in town:
  1. Put the eggs in a pot.
  2. Cover with cold water.
  3. Bring to a boil.
  4. Turn off the heat.
  5. Cover the pot.
  6. Remove the pot from the heat.
  7. Set a timer for 10 minutes for medium eggs, 12 minutes for large eggs. 
  8. Drain.
  9. Cool in cold/ice water.
  10. Peel.
I'm never going back to my old way again. I'm pretty sure my chickens thank me for no longer fucking up their daily gifts to us.
 
BTW - this is sure to be one of many blog posts about the hens. I'm slightly enamored by them, if you can't tell. 
 
These little ladies are Wyandottes. We chose breed specific with this flock addition.

No comments: