Friday, January 05, 2007

Punk'd!

I have fond memories of my grandmothers cooking when I was young. Big spaghetti dinners, awesome mashed potatoes, her creamy and delicious cream of broccoli soup...when I think of her memory, I often relive those dinners with the whole family. (Her house is also where I partook in my first official food fight!)

Last night was our soup and sandwich night, and when I was deep in menu planning on Sunday, I immediately thought of my Meme's cream of broccoli soup. When I asked my mother if Meme used cream, milk or half and half for the base, she just laughed. I was so confused! My mother got up from her chair, walked into the kitchen and got out her recipe box. As she pulled the recipe out, she began to laugh again - and said "Your memory is skewed...your grandmother hated cooking, and anytime she could open a can, she would."

Then, I looked at the recipe: 2 cans of cream of broccoli soup, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 small can of mushrooms, 2 cups of milk and a bag of frozen broccoli.

I was defeated!

This wonderfully delicious soup that I thought my grandmother made from scatch, was actually made by Campbell's, and came out of a freakin' can!

I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, went home and made that gosh darn "recipe" - - and you know what? It was FABULOUS! Sure, it's a major short cut, but I did make it a little more special by adding a chopped onion, which I sauted in olive oil, and some fresh chopped broccoli florets - instead of the frozen variety. I paired the soup with a BLT wrap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless cans!