Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pork Chops with Apricot Scented Onions

Do you know how long it takes to sweat onions?! A really long time, if you do it right - which, apparently I have not done correctly in the past.

I wanted something a little different, because pork has a tendency to become a bit boring over time. I wanted something sweat and rich - but not heavy...in other words, I wanted a dish that would not feel like a brick in my stomach.

I ended up with this:



PORK CHOPS with APRICOT SCENTED ONIONS

3-4 boneless center cut pork chops, about 1/2'' thick
2 sweet onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup apricot preserves
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions, and stir in oil to coat. Turn the heat down to low, and let "sweat" until the onions caramelize. (This will take a good 45-50 minutes, at least! So, plan accordingly.)

Meanwhile, season pork with salt and pepper, on both sides. In an oven safe skillet, heat up 1 tbsp olive oil, and cook pork over medium high heat about 3-4 minutes on each side. Place entire skillet in oven and cook an additional 25 minutes, or until fully cooked through.

Right before service, add apricot preserves to your caramelized onions, and heat through, stirring until preserves "melt" into the onions. Serve onion mixture on top of the cooked pork, and enjoy!


I finished the dish off with some couscous (multicolored!) and some brussel sprouts.

Compliments sprang forth from Nate, who told me that this pork dinner was a keeper. I agree!

No comments: