Friday, December 15, 2006

C is for COOKIE


My niece and nephew, Kelsey (6) and Shakeer (9) are coming over this weekend for some quality cookie baking time! As I told a co-worker, I am so excited. No, really! I am! I think it is so important to cook with (your) kids, and since I don't have any of my own - it's nice that I can borrow a couple of someone elses. Kelsey, in particular, loves to help out in the kitchen. She will wash or dry dishes, put things away that she can reach and help clear the table.

I've also found that children will try more things if they assist with either picking something out, or helping to cook the item. Like, Shakeer ate all of his brussel sprouts the last time he was over, because *he* picked them out to go with our meal. I don't think the kid would have ever touched a brussel sprout if he didn't take some kind of responsibility with the meal planning. Ownership is a good thing!

Anyway, back to the cookies...here is our list for tomorrow. Hopefully, we make a good dent in it:
Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
Chocolate Truffles (some rolled in cocoa, and others dipped in chocolate)
Marble Peanut Clusters
Russian Teacakes
Delux Sugar Cookies with a confectioner's sugar icing
Cream Cheese Cookies (my personal favorite)
Thumprint Cookies
Macaroons
Lemon Drops
Chocolate Mint Snow-Top Cookies
Patridge-In-A-Pear Tree Cookies (depending on if I can find the correct cookie cutters)
No-Bake Buckeyes
Ginerbread People
Rasberry-Almond Ribbons
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

I'm sure there will be some finger dips - - but there will also be a lot of hand washing, so don't fret. Besides, the heat should kill any kiddie germs that linger. I'll make sure the kids know the rules of nose and wedgie picking.

I'll report back with our progress, with recipes and pictures.

No comments: