Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Drum(Stick) Line

Today was new recipe day!

Instead of pouring through countless cookbooks and magazines...I looked towards some culinary compadres from the good ol' internet. I came across Sweet and Sour Chicken Legs from Beautyfall at Everyday Recipes, and knew that I had to try it. So, I did!

BEAUTYFALL'S SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN LEGS

1 (8 1/4 oz) can of pineapple chucks, with 1/4 cup of juice reserved
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup vinegar
pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp ground ginger, or 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
Chicken legs*
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together, minus the chicken.

Heat oil in a large skillet, and brown chicken. Remove from heat, and pour sweet and sour mixture over the browned chicken. Cook in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, turning the chicken in the sauce once. Turn oven up to 425 degrees, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until sauce is thick and chicken is completely cooked through.


Lots and lots of flavor! And really, quite a work of art on the plate...no?



*I used chicken drumsticks, since that was what looked the best that day at the market. The sauce prepared alone would make a fabulous glaze for boneless, skinless chicken breast as well.

I had one minor incident while grating the fresh ginger, which I am so embarrassed to even admit! I turned my head for only a second to glance at the chicken on the stovetop and completely scrapped my knuckle on the microplane. If you don't have one of these, first of all - you need one, but secondly - - they are sharp! It looks much worse than it feels. Just another reason to pay attention when you are in the kitchen.

No comments: